Assistant Professor, Agricultural and Applied Economics
||413 Taylor Hall
427 Lorch St
Madison, WI 53706-1513
||Environmental and resource economics; Property rights and legal institutions; land conservation; fisheries; conflict minerals; Native American economies
My research examines how legal systems and government policies affect natural resource use, environmental outcomes, and economic development. The questions my papers address include: Can the assignment of property rights to groups (rather than to individuals) end the wasteful race to harvest natural resources? How do legal institutions affect access to credit and growth in the developing world? What are the unintended consequences of international efforts to ban and regulate conflict minerals emanating from Africa? How does tax policy influence land use and conservation? Why do some places apparently suffer from a "natural resource curse"?
I joined the faculty here at UW-Madison in Fall of 2012, after spending a few years as an assistant professor of economics at Montana State University.
Recent Papers & Publications
- Jacobsen, Grant D. and Dominic P. Parker. Forthcoming. "The Economic Aftermath of Resource Booms: Evidence from Boomtowns in the American West" The Economic Journal
- Deacon, Robert T., Dominic P. Parker and Christopher Costello. 2013. "Reforming Fisheries: Lessons from a Self-Selected Cooperative" Journal of Law and Economics 56(February):83-125
- Anderson, Terry L. and Dominic P. Parker. 2013. "Transaction Costs and Environmental Markets: The Role of Entrepreneurs" Review of Environmental Economics and Policy 7(2):259-275
- Grainger, Corbett and Dominic P. Parker. 2013. "The Political Economy of Fishery Reform" Annual Review of Resource Economics 5(1):369-386
- Parker, Dominic P. and Walter N. Thurman. 2011. "Crowding Out Open Space: The Effects of Federal Land Programs on Private Land Trust Conservation" Land Economics 87(2):202-222
- Deacon, Robert T. and Dominic P. Parker. 2009. "Encumbering Harvest Rights to Protect Marine Environments: A Model of Marine Conservation Easements" Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 53(1):37-58
- Anderson, Terry L. and Dominic P. Parker. 2008. "Sovereignty, Credible Committments, and Economic Prosperity on American Indian Reservations" Journal of Law and Economics 51(November):641-666
- Parker, Dominic. 2004. "Land Trusts and the Choice to Conserve Land with Conservation Easements or Full Ownership" Natural Resources Journal 44(2):483-518
- Parker, Dominic P. "The Effects of Legal Institutions on Access to Credit: Evidence from American Indian Reservations" revisions requested, Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization.
- Parker, Dominic P. and Bryan Vadheim. "Resource Cursed or Policy Cursed? U.S. Regulation of Conflict Minerals and the Rise of Violence in the Congo" revisions requested, Journal of Development Economics.
Last updated on Tue, Jan 27, 2015 9:56am