Assistant Professor, Agricultural & Applied Economics
||405 Taylor Hall
427 Lorch St.
Madison, WI 53706
||Economics of energy; commodity markets; economics of agriculture; applied econometrics.
|| by appointment.
My primary areas of research are energy and agricultural economics. I am interested in the economics related to traditional and renewable energy, energy policy, and implications for agricultural markets. My interests also encompass agricultural adaptation to climate change as well as commodity markets.
Ph.D., Economics, Iowa State University, 2008.
M.B.A., Finance, University of Kansas, 2003.
Recent Papers & Publications
- Du, X and T. Runge. 2014. "Price Dynamics in Wisconsin Woody Biomass Markets." Biomass & Bioenergy 63:250-256
- Du, X., D. Hennessy, and H. Feng. 2014. "A Natural Resource Theory of U.S. Crop Insurance Contract Choice." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 96(1):232-252
- Carriquiry, M., X. Du, and G. Timilsina. "Production Costs of Biofuels." in D. Zilberman and G.R. Timilsina, ed. The Impacts of Biofuels on the Economy, Environment, and Poverty. Springer, 2014,
- Du, X., C. Yu, D. Hennessy, and R. Miao. 2014. "Geography of Crop Yield Skewness." Agricultural Economics, forthcoming.
- Du, X., and M. Carriquiry. 2013. "Spatiotemporal Analysis of Ethanol Market Penetration." Energy Economics 38:128-135
- Du, X., and M. Carriquiry. 2013. "Flex-Fuel Vehicle Adoption and Dynamics of Ethanol Price: Lessons from Brazil." Energy Policy 59:507-512
- Jang, H. and X. Du. 2013. "Price- and Policy-Induced Innovations: The Case of U.S. Biofuel." Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 38(3):299-311
- Du, X., and D. Hennessy. 2012. "The Planting Real Option in Cash Rent Valuation." Applied Economics 44(6):765-776
- Du, X., D. Hennessy, and C. Yu. 2012. "Testing Day's Conjecture that More Nitrogen Decreases Crop Yield Skewness." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 94(1):225-237
- Du, X, and L. McPhail. 2012. "Inside the Black Box: the Price Linkage and Transmission between Energy and Agricultural Markets." Energy Journal 33(2):171-194
- McPhail, L., X. Du, and A. Muhammad. 2012. "Disentangling Corn Price Volatility: the Role of Global Demand, Speculation, and Energy." Journal of Agricultural & Applied Economics 44(3):401-410
- Dumortier, J., D. Hayes, M. Carriquiry, F. Dong, X. Du, A. Elobeid, J. Fabiosa, and S. Tokgoz. 2012. "The Effects of Potential Changes in United States Beef Production on Global Grazing Systems and Greenhouse Gas Emissions." Environmental Research Letters 7(2):024023
- Du, X, C. Yu, and D. Hayes. 2011. "Speculation and Volatility Spillover in the Crude Oil and Agricultural Commodity Markets: A Bayesian Analysis." Energy Economics 33(3):497-503
- Tepe, F., X. Du, and D. Hennessy. 2011. "Impact of Biofuels Policy on Agribusiness Stock Prices." Agribusiness 27(2):179-192
- Zhao, H., X. Du, and D. Hennessy. 2011. "Pass-through in United States Beef Cattle Prices." Empirical Economics 40(2):497-508
- Du, X, F. Dong, D. Hayes, and T. Brown. 2011. "Assessment of Environmental Impacts Embodies in U.S.-China and U.S.-India Trade and Related Climate Change Policies." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 93(2):537-544
- Du, X., D. Hayes, and C. Yu. 2011. "Dynamics of Biofuel Stock Prices: A Bayesian Approach." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 93(2):418-425
- Carriquiry, M., X. Du, and G. Timilsina. 2011. "Second-Generation Biofuels: Economics and Policies." Energy Policy 39(7):4222-4234
- Dumortier, J., D. Hayes, M. Carriquiry, F. Dong, X. Du, A. Elobeid, J. Fabiosa, and S. Tokgoz. 2011. "Sensitivity of Carbon Emission Estimates from Indirect Land-Use Change." Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 33(3):428-448
- Du, X., D. Hayes, and M. Mallory. 2009. "A Welfare Analysis of the U.S. Ethanol Subsidy." Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 31(4):669-676
- Du, X., and D. Hayes. 2009. "The Impact of Ethanol Production on U.S. and Regional Gasoline Markets." Energy Policy 37(8):3227-3234
- Du, X., D. Hennessy, and W. Edward. 2008. "Does a Rising Biofuels Tide Raise All Boat? A Study of Cash Rent Determinants for Iowa Farmland under Hay and Pasture." Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organizaiton 6(2):Article 7