Professor, Agricultural and Applied Economics
||515 Taylor Hall
427 Lorch St.
Madison, WI 53706
||Economic Growth and Development Patterns
Community Economic Development
My research forms the backbone of my Extension/outreach educational programs. As the needs of the state change I steer my research program in that direction. My long-term research interest includes modeling community and small regional economies in order to better understand the changing dynamics of the economy, assess the impact of those changes, and identify local economic strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. This area of work includes work using IMPLAN, a regional input-output modeling system along with a family of statistical models of regional structure. Given the current and pending proposals to fundamentally alter the system of public finance in Wisconsin much of my current work has focused on the role of the public sector in community and regional economic growth.
My outreach program is built upon and helps steer my research program. The guiding principals of my outreach program is to "help people make more informed decisions". This includes original research to help provide the inform base for those decisions and working closely with Extension county faculty to facilitate the educational and decision-making processes. Because of the educational philosophy of the CNRED program area, I view my job as "making the agents look good". I do this by providing basic training in the economic way of thinking about issues, tools for analysis at the local level, and Wisconsin and community specific information that is required for county faculty to be the most effective in their educational programs.
Ph.D., Agricultural Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1988.
M.S., Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1985.
B.A., Economics, Western Illinois University, Macomb, 1982.
- Duley, Carl, and Deller, Steven C.. "The Economics of Sand Mining and Buffalo County." Dept. of Ag & App Econ. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Sept 2012.
- Deller, Steven C. and Schreiber, Andrew. "Frac Sand Mines and Community Economic Development." Dept. of Ag & App Econ. University of Wisconsin-Madison, May 2012.
- Meehan-Strub, Mary, Deller, Steven C. and Green, Karl. "The Health Care Industry and La Crosse County: Will Medicaid and BadgerCare Budget Reductions Impact the Local Economy?." Dept. of Ag & App Econ. University of Wisconsin-Madison, March 2012.
- Deller, Steven C.. "A Trade Area Analysis of Wisconsin Retail Markets: Update for 2011." Dept. of Ag & App Econ. University of Wisconsin-Madison, July 2012.
- Girard, Paul., Mohr, Robert D., Deller, Steven C., and Halstead, John M.. 209. "Public-Private Partnerships and Cooperative Agreements in Municipal Service Delivery" International Journal of Public Administration 32(5):370-392
- Steven Deller. "Economic Contributions of the Railroad Industry to Wisconsin: A Focus on the Publicly-Owned Railroad System in Southern Wisconsin." Dept. of Ag & App Econ. University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2013 January.
- Steven Deller and Maureen Stickel. "A Trade Area Analysis for Wisconsin Retail Markets: Update for 2012." Dept. of Ag & App Econ. University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2013 August.
- Randy Fortenbery, Steven Deller and Lindsay Amiel. 2013. "The Location Decisions of Bio-Diesel Refineries" Land Economics 89(1):118-136
- Steven Deller, Craig Maher, Judith Stallmann and Lindsay Amiel. 2013. "The Restrictiveness of State Tax and Expenditure Limitations and State Debt" Public Finance and Management 13(1):1-25
- Steven Deller, Lindsay Amiel, Judith Stallmann and Craig Maher. 2013. "Do Tax and Expenditure Limitations Hinder the Condition of Public Infrastructure? The Case of the Nation's System of Bridges" Public Works Management and Policy 18(4):375-393
- Maher, Craig, and Deller, Steven C. "Measuring the Impacts of TELs on Municipal Financial Conditions." in Levine, Helisse, Justice, Jonathan B. and Scorsone, Eric A, ed. Handbook of Local Government Fiscal Health. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning, 2012,
- Steven Deller and Andrew Schreiber . 2012. "Mining and Community Economic Growth" Review of Regional Studies 42(2):121-141
- Lindsay Amiel, Steven Deller and Judith Stallman. 2012. "Economic Growth and Tax and Expenditure Limitations" Review of Regional Studies 42(3):185-206
- Deller, Steven C., Stallmann, Judith, and Amiel, Lindsay. 2012. "The Impact of State and Local Tax and Expenditure Limits on State Economic Growth" Growth and Change 43(1):56-84
- Deller, Steven C. and Deller, Melissa. 2012. "Spatial Heterogeneity, Social Capital and Rural Larceny and Burglary" Rural Sociology 77(2):225-253
- Deller, Steven C. amd Sundaram-Stukel, Reka. 2012. "“Spatial Patterns in the Location Decisions of U.S. Credit Unions" Annals of Regional Science 49(2):417-445
- Stallmann, Judith I., Deller, Steven C., Amiel, Lindsay, and Maher, Craig. 2012. "Tax and Expenditure Limitations and State Credit Ratings" Public Finance Review 40(5):643-669
- Markeson, Bjorn and Deller, Steven C. 2012. "Growth of Rural U.S. Non-Farm Proprietors with a Focus on Amenities" Review of Urban and Regional Development Studies 24(3):83-105
- Maher, Craig, Deller, Steven C. and Amiel, Lindsay. . 2011. "Property Tax Limits and Fiscal Burdens: The Role of Organizational Structure" Public Administration Quarterly 35(2):202-237
- Deller, Steven C.. 2011. "Spatial Heterogeneity in the Wage Curve" Economic Letters 113(3):231-233
- Maher, Craig and Deller, Steven C. 2011. "Measuring Municipal Fiscal Condition: Do Objective Measures of Fiscal Health Relate to Subjective Measures?” " Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting and Fiscal Management 23(3):455-478
- Deller, Steven C. and Deller, Melissa. 2011. "Structural Shifts in Select Determinants of Crime with a Focus on Rural and Urban Differences." 12(3):120-138
- Deller, Steven C., Amiel, Lindsay, and Deller, Melissa. 2011. "Model Uncertainty in Ecological Criminology: An Application of Bayesian Model Averaging with Rural Crime Data" International Journal of Criminology and Sociological Theory 4(2):683-717
- Stallmann, Judith and Deller, Steven C. 2011. "State Tax and Expenditure Limitations and Economic Performance" Public Budgeting and Finance 31(4):109-135
- Goetz, Stephan, G., Deller, Steven C. and Harris, Thomas 2009. Goetz, Stephan, G., Deller, Steven C. and Harris, Thomas, ed. Oxford: Routledge Publishing.
- Goetz, Stephan, Steven Deller and Tom Harris 2009. London: Routledge Publishing.
- Johnson, Thomas G., Daniel M. Otto and Steven C. Deller 2006. Ames, IA: Blackwell.
- Green, Gary Paul, Steven C. Deller and David W. Marcouiller 2005. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Deller, Steven. "Does ‘‘Trickle Down’’ Work? Economic Development Strategies and Job Chains in Local Labor Markets, by .", Joseph Persky, Daniel Felsenstein, and Virginia Carlson, ed. Journal of Regional Science.45(3) pp.638-639 2005. Upjohn Institute, 2005.
- Shaffer, Ron, Steven Deller and Dave Marcouiller. Community Economics: Linking Theory and Practice. Ames, IA: Blackwell, 2004.
- Deller, Steven C. and Stallmann, Judith. "Impact of Tax and Expenditure Limitations on Economic Growth" Applied Economic Letters.
- Deller, Steven C. and Maher, Craig. "Is the Flypaper Effect Symmetric?" Applied Economic Letters.
- Goetz, Stephnan, G., Deller, Steven C. and Harris, Thomas. (eds). . "" Targeted Regional Economic Development.
- Deller, Steven C. and James McConnon Jr. . "Microenterprises and Economic Growth: A Panel Study of the US States 1977 to 1997" Applied Economic Letters.
- Stallmann, Judith I. and Steven Deller. "Impact of State and Local Tax and Expenditure Limits on Economic Growth" Applied Economic Letters.
- Girard, Paul., Robert Mohr, Steven Deller and John Halstead. "Public-Private Partnerships and Cooperative Agreements in Municipal Service Delivery" International Journal of Public Administration .
- Geotz, Stephan, Steven Deller and Tom Harris (eds). "" Targeting Regional Economic Growth.