Faculty - R. William Provencher
Professor, Agricultural and Applied Economics
||519 Taylor Hall
427 Lorch St.Madison, WI 53706
||Environmental and resource economics, with particular emphasis on the demand side management of energy, the valuation of ecoysystem services, socio-ecological interactions, and the dynamic allocation of resources.
I am an Environmental and resource economist, with particular emphasis on the evaluation of residential energy use, and the role of policies and programs on energy demand. I am also interested in the valuation of ecosystem services, socio-ecological interactions, and the dynamic allocation of resources. I also serve as the faculty advisor for the Resource and Energy Demand Analysis program.
Ph.D., Agricultural Economics, University of California-Davis, 1984.
M.S., Environmental Studies, School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Duke University, 1985.
B.S., Natural Resources, Cornell University, 1981.
Recent Papers & Publications
- Steinman, Alan, Bradley Cardinale, et al.. 2017. "Ecosystem services in the Great Lakes" Great Lakes Research 43:161-168
- Zipp, Katherine, David Lewis and Bill Provencher. 2016. "Does the conservation of land reduce development? An econometric-based landscape simulation with land market feedbacks" Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 81:19-37
- Lewis, David, Bill Provencher and Ben Beardmore. 2015. "Using an intervention framework to value salient ecosystem services in a stated preference experiment" Ecological Economics 114:141-151
- Robinson, Brian E, Bill Provencher and Dave Lewis. 2013. "Managing wild resources: institutional choice and the recovery of resource rent in southwest China" World Development 48:120-132
- Gaeta, Jeremy, Ben Beardmore, Alan Latzka, Bill Provencher, and Steve Carpenter. 2013. "Catch-and-Release Rates of Sport Fishes in Northern Wisconsin from an Angler Diary Survey" North American Journal of Fisheries Management 13(3):606-614
- Provencher, Bill, Dave Lewis and Kathryn Anderson. . 2012. "Disentangling Preferences and Expectations in Stated Preference Analysis with Respondent Uncertainty: The Case of Invasive Species Prevention" Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 64(2):164-182
- Moore, Rebecca., Bill Provencher, and Richard C. Bishop. 2011. "“Valuing a Spatially-Variable Environmental Resource: Reducing Nonpoint Source Pollution in Green Bay, WI”" Land Economics (87)(1):45-59
- Moore, Rebecca., Richard C. Bishop, Bill Provencher, and Patricia Champ. 2010. "“Accounting for Respondent Uncertainty to Improve Willingness-to-Pay Estimates” " Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics (CJAE outstanding publication, 2010) 58(3):381-401
- Lewis, David, Bill Provencher, and Van Butsic. 2009. "“The Dynamic Effects of Open-Space Conservation Policies Residential Development Density”" Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 57:239-252
- Provencher, Bill, Helen Sarakinos, and Tanya Meyer. 2008. "“Does Small Dam Removal Affect Local Property Values? An Empirical Analysis”" Contemporary Economic Policy 26(2):187-197
- Provencher, Bill, Helen Sarakinos, and Tanya Meyer. 2008. "Does Small Dam Removal Affect Local Property Values? An Empirical Analysis" Contemporary Economic Policy 26(2):187-197