Faculty - Kyle Stiegert
Professor, Agricultural and Applied Economics
Director, Food System Research Group
||331 Taylor Hall
427 Lorch St.Madison, WI 53706
||Industrial organization of the food and agricultural sectors; antitrust policy; international trade and international competition policy
I conduct research on public policy concerns pertaining to a) imperfect competition in the farm input, food processing and food retailing industries, b) agricultural trade policies c) global antitrust enforcement. My technical interests include developing and testing new methods for research in industrial organization, using the latest econometric procedures, and keeping abreast of the methods for evaluating and measuring damages in antitrust cases.
I have provided consulting support to government agencies in various nations on trade and antitrust policies in the food and agricultural sectors. My research provides a basis for integrated outreach activities in several key areas including wheat markets and industry, beef and pork procurement and processing, pricing and product offerings in potatoes, eggs, and fast food, food retailing, genetically modified corn, cotton and soybean seeds, and emerging themes in food marketing such as local foods and organics. I am a mayoral appointee to the Fitchburg ag and rural affairs committee. This gives me great exposure to emerging issues important to farmers leading to improved outreach content. Much of my outreach activities are within the scope of research with Food System Research Group (aae.wisc.edu/fsrg). The FSRG operates a press release program that provides summaries of completed research and opinion papers on sensitive public issues.
Ph.D., Agricultural Economics (Marketing and Trade), Purdue Unversity, 1993.
M.S., Agricultural Economics (Marketing and Price Analysis), Unversity of Nebraska, 1989.
B.S., Business Administration (Economics and Finance), University of Nebraska, 1981.
Recent Papers & Publications
- Borneman, Dan, Kyle W. Stiegert Steve Ingham. 2015. "Limitation of on-site dairy farm regulatory debits as milk quality predictors" Journal of Dairy Science 98:1526-1538
- Hamilton, Steve, Timothy Richards, and Kyle Stiegert. 2013. "How Does Advertising Effect Market Demand? A Note on Generic Advertising" Economic Inquiry 51(2):1183-1195
- Sahakyan, Narek and Kyle W. Stiegert. 2012. "Corruption and Firm Performance." Eastern European Economics 50(6)
- Hsieh, Ming-Feng and Kyle Stiegert. "The Consumption Choice of Organics: Store Formats, Prices, and Quality Perception – A Case of Dairy Products in the United States." in Matt Reed, ed. Organic Food and Agriculture -- New Trends and Developments in the Social Sciences,. New York: InTech: Open Access Publishing, 2012, pp.3-18.
- Hsieh, Ming-Feng and Kyle W. Stiegert. 2012. "Store Format Choice in Organic Food Consumption" American Journal of Agricultural Economics 94(2):307-313
- Cai, Xiaowei, Kyle W. Stiegert, and Stephen Koontz. 2011. "Regime Switching and Oligopsony Power: The Case of U.S. Beef Processing" Agricultural Economics 42(1):99-101
- Cai, Xiaowei, Kyle W. Stiegert, and Stephen Koontz. 2011. "Oligopsony Fed Cattle Pricing: Did Mandatory Price Reporting Increase Beefpacker Market Power" Applied Economics Policy and Perspective 33(4):606-622
- Shi, Guanming, Kyle Stiegert, Jean-Paul Chavas. 2011. "An Analysis of Pricing in Horizontal and Vertical Markets: The Case of U.S. Cotton Seed Market" Agricultural Economics 42:77-88
- Stiegert, Kyle W, Guanming Shi, and Jean Paul Chavas. "Spatial Pricing of Genetically Modified Corn Seeds." in Colin Carter, Giancarlo Moschini, and Ian Sheldon, ed. Frontiers of Economics and Globalization, Volume 10: Genetically Modified Food and Global Welfare. ISBN-10: 0857247573: Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2011, pp.149-171.
- Kun Huang and Kyle W. Stiegert. "Evaluating and Supermarket Event: The Case of Copps and Kohl’s in Madison WI, FSRG Working Paper." Dept. of Ag & App Econ. University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2010.
- Shi, Guanming, Jean-Paul Chavas, Kyle Stiegert. 2010. "An Analysis of the Pricing of Traits in the U.S. Corn Seed Market" American Journal of Agricultural Economics 92(5):1324-1338
- Stiegert, Kyle, Guanming Shi, Jean-Paul Chavas. 2010. "Innovation, Integration, and Biotech Revolution: The Case of U.S. Seed Markets" Choices 25(2)
- Wang, Shinn-Shyr, Kyle W. Stiegert, and Tirtha Dahr. 2010. "Strategic Pricing Behavior Under Asset Value Maximization: An Empirical Assessment of the U.S. Retail Margarine and Butter Markets" Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 58(2):151-170
- Stiegert, Kyle W and Dong Hwan Kim. Structural Changes in Food Retailing: Six Country Case Studies. Madison, WI: FSRG , 2009.
- Stiegert, Kyle. "Imperfect competition, agriculture, and development." in Hallim, David and George Rapsomanikis , ed. Commodity Market Review. Rome, Italy: FAO, United Nations, 2008, pp.35-50.