Faculty - Jeremy Foltz
Professor, Agricultural and Applied Economics
Co-Director, Program on Agricultural Technology Studies
||412 Taylor Hall
427 Lorch St.Madison, WI 53706
||Production economics; technological change; biotechnology; economic development; Africa and the Middle East.
||Wednesdays 1:00 – 2:30 pm
Microeconomics of technology adoption, farm structure, agricultural biotecchnology, intellectual property rights, land use, and economic development.
My extension program focuses on making PATS useful to the UW-Extension system, especially in the Agriculture and Natural Resource program, as well as with other groups concerned with the structure, conduct, and performance of agriculture in Wisconsin.
Ph.D., 1998 Agricultural and Applied Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.A., 1994 Agricultural and Applied Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A., 1986 Economics and Political Science, Yale University
Recent Papers & Publications
- Foltz, Jeremy, Ursula Aldana and Paul Laris. "The Sahel’s Silent Maize Revolution: Analyzing Maize Productivity in Mali at the Farm-level." in Sebastian Edwards, Simon Johnson and David Weil, ed. African Successes: Sustainable Growth Vol 4. Chicago IL: University of Chicago Press, 2015,
- Laris, P., J. Foltz and B. Voorhees.. 2014. "Taking from Cotton to Grow Maize: the shifting practices of small-holder farmers in the cotton belt of Mali" Agricultural Systems
- Laris, P. & J. Foltz. 2014. "Cotton as Catalyst?: The Role of Shifting Fertilizer in Mali’s Silent Maize Revolution" Human Ecology
- Prager, D., J. Foltz & B. Barham. 2014. "Making Time for Agricultural and Life Science Research: Technical Change and Productivity Gains" American Journal of Agricultural Economics
- Zaitchik, B., B. Simane, and J. Foltz. 2014. "Agroecosystem-specific climate vulnerability analysis: application of the livelihood vulnerability index to a tropical highland region" Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change
- Kim, K, JP Chavas, B. Barham, and J. Foltz. 2014. "Rice, Irrigation and Downside Risk: A Quantile Analysis of Risk Exposure and Mitigation on Korean Farms" European Review of Agricultural Economics :1-41
- Barham, BL J. Foltz & D. Prager. 2014. "Making Time for Science" Research Policy 43(1):21-31
- Foltz, J.D., B. Barham, and P. Useche. 2013. "Bundling Technology and Insurance: Packages versus Technology Traits" American Journal of Agricultural Economics 95(2):346-352
- Useche, P., B. Barham, and J. Foltz. 2013. "Trait-based Adoption Models Using Ex-Ante and Ex-Post Approaches" American Journal of Agricultural Economics 95(2):332-338
- Chavas, J.P., B. Barham, J. Foltz, and K. Kim.. 2012. "Analysis and Decomposition of Scope Economies: R&D at U.S. Research Universities" Applied Economics 44(11)
- Foltz, Jeremy D., B. Barham, J.P. Chavas, and K. Kim. 2012. "Efficiency and Technological Change at US Research Universities" Journal of Productivity Analysis 37(2)
- Zaitchik, Benjamin , Belay Simane, Shahid Habib, Martha Anderson, Mutlu Ozdogan, Jeremy Foltz. 2012. "Building climate resilience in the Blue Nile / Abay Highlands: A role for Earth System Sciences" International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 9:435-461
- Foltz, Jeremy and Ousman Gajigo. 2012. "Assessing the Returns to Education in the Gambia" Journal of African Economies
- Aldana, Ursula, Bradford Barham, Jeremy Foltz and Pilar Useche.. 2012. "Early Adoption, Experience, and Farm Performance of GM Corn Seeds" Agricultural Economics
- Kim, Kwansoo, Jean-Paul Chavas, Bradford Barham, and Jeremy Foltz. 2012. "Specialization, Diversification, and Productivity: A Panel Data Analysis of Rice Farms in Korea" Agricultural Economics
- Bromley, D. W., J. D. Foltz.. 2011. "Sustainability Under Siege: Transport Costs and Corruption on West Africa’s Trade Corridors" Natural Resources Forum
- Aldana, Ursula; Jeremy Foltz, Bradford Barham, and Pilar Useche. . 2011. "Sequential Adoption of Package Technologies: Dynamics of Stacked Trait Corn Adoption." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 93(1)
- Useche, Pilar, Bradford Barham, and Jeremy Foltz. 2009. "Integrating Technology Traits and Producer Heterogeneity: A Mixed Multinomial Model of Genetically Modified Corn Adoption" American Journal of Agricultural Economics
- Dhar, Tirtha and Jeremy Foltz. "The Impact of Intellectual Property Rights in the Plant/Seed Industry." in Jay Kesan, ed. Seeds of Change. Oxon, England: CABI Press, 2007,
- Bresnahan, L. I. Coxhead, J. Foltz & T. Mogues. "Does Freer Trade Really Lead to Productivity Growth? Evidence from Africa" World Development.