Faculty - Daniel Phaneuf
Professor, Agricultural & Applied Economics
||416 Taylor Hall
Madison, WI 53706
||Environmental economics with specific expertise in non-market valuation; applied econometrics.
||Tuesday/Thursday 8:30-9:30am and by appointment.
I am an environmental economist with interests in non-market valuation and applied econometrics. I have worked on recreation demand and property value models, as well as a variety of stated preference approaches. My application work has focused on water quality, land use, and invasive species. I am currently the editor in chief for the Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (JAERE), and have a forthcoming PhD level textbook for environmental economics courses.
PhD in Economics, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 1997
BS in Economics, Saint John's University, Collegeville, MN, 1990.
Recent Papers & Publications
- Hamilton, Timothy and Daniel J. Phaneuf. 2015. "An integrated model of regional and local residential sorting with application to air quality" Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 74:71-93
- Van Houtven, G., D. Phaneuf, C. Mansfield, R. von Haefen, B. Milstead, M. Kenney, and K. Reckhow. 2014. "Combining Expert Elicitation and Stated Preference Methods to Value Ecosystem Services from Improved Lake Water Quality" Ecological Economics 99:40-52
- Phaneuf, Daniel J.. 2013. "Heterogeneity in environmental demand" Annual Reviews of Resource Economics 5:227-244
- Kling, Catherine L., Daniel J. Phaneuf, and Jinhua Zhao. 2012. "From Exxon to BP: has some number become better than no number?" Journal of Economic Perspectives 26(4):3-26
- Klaiber, H. Allen and Daniel J. Phaneuf. 2010. "Valuing Open Space in a Residential Sorting Model of the Twin Cities" Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 60:57-77
- Phaneuf, Daniel J. and Till Requate. "A Graduate Course in Environmental Economics" forthcoming, Cambridge University Press.
- Taylor, Laura, Daniel J. Phaneuf, and X. Liu. "Disentangling the impacts of environmental contamination from locally undesirable land uses" forthcoming, J. Urban Economics.
- Lutzeyer, S., D. Phaneuf, and L. Taylor. "The amenity costs of offshore wind farms: evidence from a choice experiment" revise and resubmit, Energy Economics.