Faculty - Craig Johnston
Assistant Professor, Forest Economics and Risk Management
AAE Affiliate Faculty
||A147 Russell Labs
1630 Linden DriveMadison, WI 53706
||Environmental and natural resource economics; international trade; bioenergy; computational economics; risk management.
||Wednesdays 3:30-5:00pm or by appointment
I am an environmental economist with interests in the relationship between economic markets, climate change and forest resource use. My research current falls within three broad categories: optimal resource management for economic and ecological benefits, the international trade of forest products, and issues related to forest carbon offsets and bioenergy. To investigate these issues, I examine theoretical foundations and different techniques for modeling and numerically solving constrained optimization models.
PhD, Economics, University of Victoria, 2015
MS, Economics, University of Victoria, 2011
BA, Applied Economics, Queen's University, 2008
Recent Papers & Publications
- Johnston, Craig and G. Cornelis van Kooten. 2017. "Impact of Inefficient Quota Allocation Under the Canada-U.S. Softwood Lumber Dispute: A Calibrated Mixed Complementary Approach" Forest Policy and Economics 74:71-80.
- Johnston, Craig and Joseph Buongiorno. 2017. "Impact of Brexit on the Forest Products Industry of the United Kingdom and the Rest of the World" Forestry: An International Journal of Forest Research 90(1):47-57
- Buongiorno, Joseph, Mo Zhou, and Craig Johnston. 2017. "Risk Aversion and Risk Seeking in Multi-Criteria Forest Management: A Markov Decision Process Approach" Canadian Journal of Forest Research In Press.
- Johnston, Craig and Patrick Withey. 2017. "Managing Forests for Carbon and Timber: A Markov Decision Model of Uneven-Aged Forest Management with Risk" Ecological Economics 138:31-39
- Buongiorno, Joseph, Craig Johnston, and Shushui Zhu. 2017. "An Assessment of Gains and Losses from International Trade in the Forest Sector" Forest Policy and Economics 80:209-217
- Ochuodho, Thomas, Craig Johnston, and Patrick Withey. 2017. "Economic Impact of Increased Internet Demand on Canadian Paper Industries: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis" Canadian Journal of Forest Research In Press
- Johnston, Craig. 2016. "Global Paper Market Forecasts to 2030 under Future Internet Demand Scenarios" Journal of Forest Economics 25:14-28
- Johnston, Craig and G. Cornelis van Kooten. 2016. "Global Trade Impacts of Increasing Europe’s Bioenergy Demand" Journal of Forest Economics 23(April 2016):27-44
- van Kooten, G. Cornelis and Craig Johnston. 2016. "The Economics of Forest Carbon Offsets" Annual Review of Resource Economics. 8
- Johnston, Craig and G. Cornelis van Kooten. 2015. "Economics of Co-Firing Coal and Biomass: An Application to Western Canada" Energy Economics 48:7-17
- Johnston, Craig and G. Cornelis van Kooten. 2015. "Back to the Past: Burning Wood to Save the Globe" Ecological Economics 120:185-193
- van Kooten, G. Cornelis and Craig Johnston. 2014. "Global Impacts of Russian Log Export Restrictions and the Canada–U.S. Lumber Dispute: Modeling Trade in Logs and Lumber" Forest Policy and Economics 39:54-66
- Johnston, Craig and G. Cornelis van Kooten. 2014. "Economic Consequences of Increased Bioenergy Demand" Forestry Chronicle 90(5):636-642
- van Kooten, G. Cornelis, Craig Johnston, and Linda Wong. 2013. "Wind versus Nuclear Options for Generating Electricity in a Carbon Constrained World: Strategizing in an Energy Rich Economy" American Journal of Agricultural Economics 95(2):505-511