Assistant Professor, Agricultural & Applied Economics
||417 Taylor Hall
427 Lorch St.
Madison, WI 53706
||Environment and development; applied microeconomics; spatial analysis
||Thursdays 11:00-12:30 or by appointment
I am an applied microeconomist with interests which bring together the fields of development and environmental economics. I currently have three general research areas: deforestation and programs to mitigate it in developing countries; the impact of humanitarian crises on local communities, including their environment; and the determinants of civic participation and its importance in the provision of public goods and government programs. Although these areas are in many ways very distinct, they are tied together methodologically through the use of spatial analysis, often explicitly using geographic information systems (GIS), or implicitly by their focus on community analysis.
Ph.D., Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California, Berkeley, 2005
MALD, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, 2000
BS, BA, Resource Ecology and Management, French, University of Michigan, 1995
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Tobias Kuemmerle, and Volker Radelorr. 2012. "Prices, land tenure institutions, and geography: A matching analysis of farmland abandonment in post-Socialist Eastern Europe" Land Economics 88(3):425-443
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Elizabeth Shapiro, and Katherine Sims. 2012. "Forest Conservation and Slippage: Evidence from Mexico's National Payments for Ecosystem Services Program" Land Economics 88(4):613-638
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Anne Bartlett, and David Saah. "Displaced Populations, Humanitarian Assistance, and Hosts: a framework for analyzing impacts on semi-urban households." World Development.
- Naughton, Lisa, Jennifer Alix-Garcia, and Colin Chapman. 2011. "Parks and Poverty: Lessons from a decade of forest loss and economic growth around Kibale National Park, Uganda" Proceedings of the National Academies of Science 108(34):13919-13924
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer and David Saah. 2009. "The Effect of Refugee Inflows on Host Country Populations: Evidence from Tanzania" World Bank Economic Review 24(1):148-170
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer. 2008. "An Exploration of the Positive Effect of Inequality on Common Property Forest" Journal of Development Economics 87(1):92-105
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer. 2007. "A Spatial Analysis of Common Property Land Use" Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 53(2):141-147
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Craig McIntosh, Katharine Sims, and Jarrod Welch. "The Ecological Footprint of Poverty Alleviation: Evidence from Mexico's Oportunidades Program." Review of Economics and Statistics.
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Anne Bartlett, and David Saah. "The Landscape of Conflict: Forced Migration and Land Use in Darfur." Journal of Economic Geography.