Faculty - Jennifer Alix-Garcia
Associate Professor, Agricultural & Applied Economics
||417 Taylor Hall
427 Lorch St.
Madison, WI 53706
||Environment and development; applied microeconomics; spatial analysis
||On sabbatical, academic year 2015-2016
I am an applied microeconomist with interests that bridge the fields of development and environmental economics. My research falls into three categories: land use change and deforestation policy; effects of humanitarian crises on local communities; and the role of history and geography in determining the present. I use economic frameworks to organize predictions and establish appropriate counterfactuals to examine these issues. My empirical approaches are driven by the search to identify causal effects subject to data constraints. Although these areas are in many ways very distinct, they are tied together methodologically through the use of spatial analysis, often explicitly using geographic information systems (GIS), or implicitly by their focus on community analysis.
Ph.D., Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California, Berkeley, 2005
MALD, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, 2000
BS, BA, Resource Ecology and Management, French, University of Michigan, 1995
Recent Papers & Publications
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Katharine RE Sims, and Patricia Yañez-Pagans. 2015. "Only One Tree from Each Seed? Environmental Effectiveness and Poverty Alleviation in Programs of Payments of Ecosystem Services" American Economic Journal -- Economic Policy 7(4):1-40
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer and Anne Bartlett. 2015. "Occupations under fire: the labor market in a complex emergency" Oxford Economic Papers 67(3):687-714
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer and Hendrik Wolff. 2014. "Payments for Ecosystem Services from Forests" Annual Review of Resource Economics 6
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Craig McIntosh, Katharine Sims, and Jarrod Welch. 2013. "The Ecological Footprint of Poverty Alleviation: Evidence from Mexico's Oportunidades Program" Review of Economics and Statistics 95(4):417-435
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Anne Bartlett, and David Saah. 2013. "The Landscape of Conflict: Forced Migration and Land Use in Darfur" Journal of Economic Geography 13(4):589-617
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Elizabeth Shapiro, and Katherine Sims. 2012. "Forest Conservation and Slippage: Evidence from Mexico's National Payments for Ecosystem Services Program" Land Economics 88(4):613-638
- Naughton, Lisa, Jennifer Alix-Garcia, and Colin Chapman. 2011. "Parks and Poverty: Lessons from a decade of forest loss and economic growth around Kibale National Park, Uganda" Proceedings of the National Academies of Science 108(34):13919-13924
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, Katharine Sims, and Patricia Yanez-Pagans. "Only One Tree from Each Seed? Environmental effectiveness and poverty alleviation in programs of payments for Ecosystem Services" American Economic Journal - Economic Policy.
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer and Anne Bartlett. "Occupations under fire: the labor market in a complex emergency" Oxford Economic Papers.